Wednesday, August 5, 2015

State of Slim Success Story: Robert

I'm so proud of Robert! He's a true hero, serving in Vietnam, who decided to take his life back and fight his own battle with weight loss. And he has had such amazing victory along the way. He's an amazing example that even if you're not on a TV show, or in a year-long support group, you can still lose the weight and keep it off for good.

Why did you to join the State of Slim group?
I became interested in SOS after joining University of Colorado's Anschutz Health & Wellness Center as a result of a friend, John Schmidt, bringing me over for a tour. I happened to pick up Dr.'s Hill and Wyatt's book and informally began the SOS program on my own, losing weight. I met with Dr. Holly as a patient and followed her suggestion to join a SOS class and consider retaining a trainer on a regular basis.

How did you you feel before State of Slim?
I came in weighing about 310 and graduated Oct 17, 2014, weighing 238. Words can't describe the difference in my new lifestyle. I can do so much more with my body than I ever thought possible. 

What was your biggest transformation moment?
The moment I realized I was transforming was when I started to call myself an athlete! I have become a rowing athlete winning the silver medal in the 500 meter erg row (a rowing machine I learned at Anschutz) at Duke University in June and the same week a gold medal in team volleyball at the University of North Carolina, Military Valor Games.

I was also featured in the July edition of "Rowing", a professional and Olympic rowing magazine due to the feat.

What does your new lifestyle look like now?
I continue working out with a Mr. Phil Davis weekly and continue to compete around the country in many different events such as Shotput, Discus, Javelin, golf and even bowling and archery.
Recently I've been recruited to be in the Longmont Sculling Club where I row in a quad rower weekly.  

What do you look forward to doing in the future that used to not be possible before you lost the weight?
I hope to soon join in competitions when I'm experienced enough; joining competitive regattas in San Diego and England.

I've got another goal and that is to be able to surf at Waikiki, Hawaii.  That's harder due to my wounds received serving my country during the Viet Nam War; it's difficult to get to my feet to a surf board.

I'm so grateful for State of Slim and I will to continue to be an evangelist for Anschutz and Dr.'s Hill/Wyatt programs!

1 comment :