Monday, June 8, 2015

GO Public: Jo

Meet Jo. Maybe you can relate to her. Prior to coming to Destination Boot Camp, she felt like she was a relatively healthy person: worked out once or twice a week, ate a fairly healthy diet, yet her weight continued to slowly creep up. All of that changed when some to Colorado and had her lightbulb moment after seeing the results of her Dexa scan (which shows how much lean muscle and fat is on your body).

After that, it was no excuses. She got her mind right, set it on her goal, and is now the healthiest she's been in her whole life at the age of 62. That's what this is all about. I'm so proud of her!



How did you feel before DBC?
I thought I was in reasonable shape.  My favorite saying was “I am in better shape than I look."   I worked out one or two times a week so I thought I was doing what I needed to lose weight.  I also thought I was watching what I ate and I could not figure out why my weight seemed to keep slowly creeping up.

But now that I look back, my back hurt all the time and my stomach was bothering me almost daily.  I did Destination Boot Camp to lose the last 20 pounds that I thought I needed to lose.  I honestly did not realize how fat I was until I got the Dexa Scan at University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Health and Wellness Center and saw the picture of my real body.  When I saw all that yellow fat, and the real shape of my body, I had a major epiphany.  I saw that little skinny red person (lean muscle) inside and I realized how much I actually had to lose and how badly I wanted that.

What was the moment when you actually realized you were transforming?
The first time I realized I was transforming was when I put on a skirt that I wear regularly and realized if I did not pin it, it was going to fall of me.  The key moment that I realized I was transforming was when I tried on a pair of yoga pants that I found on a “large” size hanger, bought them and when I got home I saw the real size and realized I had bought a small.  I actually fit in a size small.  Wow, I was ecstatic!

How do you feel now?
I feel great.  Now, the only time I am in pain is when I am stiff from working out.  My stomach no longer bothers me and my back is so much stronger.  This last weekend I was in Denver for the Colfax 5K.  I cannot run because I have had a knee replacement so I planned to walk it.  I walked the 5K with Marsha Miller as my pace setter and she pushed me far beyond what I would have done on my own.  I even ran the last 1/2 mile of the race.  I did the 5K in 49.33 minutes.  

Marsha invited me to walk the Colfax 1/2 marathon the next day with her and another teammate, Amy Hindman.  I figured I could walk a couple of miles with them just as support.  After I started walking, I did not want to stop.  I realized that I could totally do a half marathon so I finished it.  Since I was not registered for the 1/2 marathon, I did not have a bib and my phone messed up so I do not have my exact time.  Marsha figured I was about 20 minutes behind Amy so I figure I did it in about 3 hours 45 min.  I felt so good doing a 5K and then turning around and doing the Half Marathon the next day. That moment confirmed to me that I had truly transformed my body. I felt on top of the world.

What are you most proud of with your transformation journey?
I can honestly say that I did not cheat once on the State of Slim plan since I left the Destination Boot Camp in October to the Colfax race weekend.  I loved the muffins and I was never hungry. And since I cut out all bread, with the exception of my indulgence sugar, I have not had any cravings.  

When I went back to Anschutz, I had another Dexa Scan.  I loved the results.  I had gone from a 43% body fat to 30.9%.  I have lost 46 lbs.  I am doing TRX training two days a week, circuit training on Friday and Adaptive Motion Trainer (aerobic) two days a week.  On Saturday, I add variety to my workout.  I am in the best shape of my life and I am 62 years old.

What is the biggest lesson/takeaway you've had through DBC?
Trust the program, it works.  No Excuses.  It is all about mindset.


Thank you so much for this wonderful program.  It has truly changed my life.

No comments :

Post a Comment