Thursday, February 11, 2016

Living LARGE: Renee

How did you feel before DBC?
Before starting DBC, I was depressed, tired all the time, blamed everyone for my problems, angry at my inability to lose weight and I felt ugly in my own skin.  Could not even look in the mirror at myself.  In a way, I would present myself to others as the skinny young girl I used to be.  I created a lie in my head that I was skinny and every time I would look at myself in the mirror I realized the lie.




Remember when you started this journey? How does your weight loss journey now compare to what you thouht going into it?
Looking back when I signed up for DBC, I only paid for the first part because deep down I knew it would never work.  I thought I better not pay for it all because when I would pay upfront for all the other diets I just lost the money; not the weight.  Why would this be any different!  I must say that after Dr. Holly's first lecture it became loud and clear this was the place for me.  I went right downstairs and paid for the rest of the year.

What has been your biggest "Aha" or breakthrough moment?
The only home I knew was Pittsburgh.  My husband, Jamie, got a job in Flint, Michigan in 1985 and we packed up our new baby boy and moved to Michigan.  The first year there I remember every morning when his alarm would go off for work I would tell him I hated him and to get me home.  Years and years I blamed him for me being away from my family.  For 31 years I have told him when he retires I am moving back home with or without him.  He traveled every week and I felt alone.  I blamed him for my depression and weight gain.  Jamie has given me the greatest life any person would ever want.  I never realized how extremely blessed I was to have created a beautiful life in Michigan with him and our two boys.   The breakthrough and AHA moment came when I realized after 31 years that my home is with him no matter where we are.  I have never again thought of moving back to Pittsburgh.



What are you most proud of/grateful for so far?
Never have I been able to hold 40 pounds (20%) of my weight off my body for such a long time, especially, with all the hurdles I had to jump over this year.  I tore my rotator cuff in May, which kept me from exercising my upper body (28 weeks of physical therapy and I will have shoulder surgery after March reunion).  I had double hernia surgery in June, which kept me from doing lower body workouts for a couple months.  I brought my aging uncle from Florida to Michigan to care for him this year and he passed in November.  I can go on and on, but the reality is I am grateful for the tools I have learned to fight through these hurdles.   I have gone from dress size 18 to 12 and I can fit into some medium sized shirts.  How can I not be proud of my accomplishments thus far.  I wasn't perfect, but I handled them all and haven't quit.  I still have a ways to go on my journey but I know I have the tools to carry on forever.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone considering this journey, what would it be?
People are hesitant about joining the program because of the cost.  I would tell them that this program is priceless.  It is a never ending, lifelong commitment. No amount of money is too large to buy you your health, happiness and friendships that will last you a lifetime.  You will learn to love yourself and watch everyone around you change for the better.  It is a small fee for a lifetime education.

How do you feel now?
There is no way I can come up with just one most valuable part of DBC.  The list is endless, but if I had to pick one thing it would be Dr. Holly's knowledge and love for wanting the world to live the SOS way.  She is determined to change us one person at a time.  She practices what she preaches and she is right there by our sides.  I have been blessed in having her in my life.  

What has been the most valuable part of DBC?
This journey has brought my smile back again.  It has brought back my youthful spirit.  It has made me realize that the best has yet to come.

How has this journey changed your life? 
I can honestly say I feel free.  Free to be who I am and love myself no matter what.  I can see what everyone else sees in me now.  Those around me never looked at my exterior, they loved me for me and so do I.  I have never been happier.

No comments :

Post a Comment