Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Destination Boot Camp Success Story: Amanda

Meet Amanda! This is a picture of her in June as she started Destination Boot Camp. This other picture is her completing a 4 mile run just a few days ago as a part of her 6 month milestone challenge with her DBC teammates.


Here is her story:


How did you feel before DBC?

"Before Destination Boot Camp I was fed up with being tired and always having an excuse for why I wasn't able to workout or eat healthy.  I had let my job of being a teacher consume my life and my compressed discs in my lower back convinced me I was no longer able to do the exercises I used to love, which lead me to regaining the 100 pounds I had lost a few years earlier. I was done with these excuses. I had lost weight before and I knew I could do it again. 


Remember when you started this journey? How does your weight loss journey now compare to what you thought going into it? 

I thought when starting this process that I would struggle to find workouts I enjoyed because of my lower back pain. In the past I always did bootcamp workouts and I knew I needed to find lower impact alternatives.

I originally found water aerobics that I felt strong doing and really enjoyed. Then I incorporated aqua Zumba and then land Zumba. I fell in love with Zumba and have now become an instructor. I look forward to leading these workouts so I can continue to help others change their lives. 

I've also found Barre and Pilates Reformer have really helped me gain core and lower back strength.  There are so many wonderful workouts available that don't hurt my back. I actually look forward to my workouts 6 days a week for 70 minutes. 


What has been your biggest "Aha" or breakthrough moment? 

About five months into my journey, I hit a weight loss plateau. I went three weeks without losing any weight when I had been averaging 2-4 pounds a week up until that point. I didn't let myself get discouraged or self sabotage like I always would in the past. I chose to trust the process.  

I realized I had the tools to reset and jumpstart my metabolism. I went back to Phase 1 on the State of Slim program and saw my weight loss pick back up quickly.  I had successfully beat a plateau for the first time in my life. I didn't let it beat me! 


What are you most proud of/grateful for so far? 

I'm so proud of myself for sticking to the program for the first six months of my transformation. I'm 100% dedicated to transforming my life. I'm putting myself first and not letting anything get in my way of getting in my workouts, eating on-plan, and meal prepping each week. 


If you could give one piece of advice to someone considering this journey, what would it be?

Sign up right away! There is no other experience like it.  You will go to Colorado knowing no one and leave with a family of coaches and teammates who understand exactly what you are going through and who will be by your side for your lifetime. This experience is worth every penny and you will not regret it! 


How do you feel now? 

I'm feeling fantastic now. I'm a whole new person! I'm much happier and loving my life. I look forward to getting up everyday to see what new experiences are ahead of me. The highlight of my day has become my time at the gym. 

My body has gotten so much stronger in the past six months and I love challenging myself daily to see what new things I can do.  I've run/walked three 5Ks, improving my time each race, and completed my bike, run, swim portions of my June team's six month milestone Ironman triathlons. I have two more sprint triathlons on my schedule. These are activities I never would have signed up for six months ago.  Now I look forward to the challenges! 


What has been the most valuable part of DBC?    

The most valuable part of DBC is the support from both my coaches and my teammates. Each time I've lost weight in the past, my family and friends have been supportive and this time is no different. However, most of them don't understand what I'm going through. 

With DBC, I'm surrounded by people who experienced the same week at DBC with me and are walking the same journey with me daily. If I'm struggling or need some support, each of my teammates is a phone call away. They always make me feel like I'm not alone. I truly believe this program is the only one that offers this type of support. 



How has this journey changed your life? 

My life has changed forever now that I'm a part of DBC. Even after my year graduation and celebration in June 2016, I'll be a member of the DBC nation. I'll have the support of others who have had the same experiences forever. I'll also have the tools to maintain my weight (which I've never had before). 

I can use these tools to continue to pay it forward. My dream is to help others transform their lives using everything I've learned throughout the process.  I want to live my life to the fullest. I want to conquer things I've always dreamt about but never thought were possible because of my weight. I've learned that I can do anything I want as long as I commit to working hard, believing in myself, and never giving up!"


Transformation is scary. It's scary leaving your comfort zone... and even risking the disappointment of failure. But what if this time was different? What if you actually lived your dream. All of the people who have succeeded on DBC weren't perfect. They just were willing to try again. Why don't you try again? Click here if you're ready to start living that dream. 

1 comment :

  1. Very interesting and informative blog and about the stories of boot camp and I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    stories of boot camp

    ReplyDelete